Everything You Need to Know about Student Visa 500

If you live outside Australia but want to pursue your higher studies in the country for up to 5 years, you need to acquire the student visa – subclass 500. Like any other international student, you need to prove to the Department of Home Affairs that you fulfil all the visa requirements, including the English proficiency requirements, financial requirements, Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement, and health and character requirements. 

You will also need to fill up an Australian student visa application form, pay a fee for the visa application, and attend an interview. Don’t get flustered. Just keep reading for a detailed overview of every aspect of the student visa (subclass 500) application.


What Is a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)?

First introduced in November 2011, the GTE requirement ensures that a visa applicant has a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily for education or accompany a student as a dependent or a guardian. This is decided by the people at the Department of Home Affairs, and they focus on the following points:

· Circumstances in the home country of the applicant

· Potential circumstances for you in Australia

· What value does your chosen course add to your future

· Your immigration history

You may be asked to attend an interview at your nearest Australian embassy or consulate so that the decision-makers can determine whether you meet the GTE requirements or not.

How to Complete an Australian Student Visa Application Form?

You can apply for a student visa (subclass 500) from anywhere in the world as it is available online. However, before you apply for a visa, you will need to secure a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) or an Offer Letter, which confirms that you have been accepted into a course registered under the Commonwealth Register of Institutions of Courses (CRICOS).

The COE comes with a unique online code that you have to mention in the given section of the online visa application. You may also have to pay a deposit towards your tuition fees. You can change course afterwards to study in Australia at the same or a higher level of study. However, if you decide to change your course to a lower level on the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) or a non-AQF level course, you will have to apply for a new visa.

You also have the option to package your studies by pursuing two or more courses on your online assignment help student visa (subclass 500), where one can see a clear progression from one course to another.

The Other Requirements of Australian Student Visa

Once you are done completing your online visa application, you need to demonstrate evidence of the following as per the Australian student visa requirements:

· Financial requirements:

You need to show evidence of sufficient funds that will cover tuition, travel and living costs. Since 2018, the amount you need to show you have for living costs is set at AU$20,290 (which is approximately US$13,750) for a year.

If you have dependents, you will also need to prove that you can cover their living costs, including school fees. Alternatively, you can demonstrate that your spouse or parents are willing to provide funds and that they earn at least AU$60,000 (approximately US$40,660) every year.

· English proficiency requirements:

If you are not from an English-speaking country (and haven’t finished at least five years’ study in an English-speaking country), you will have to demonstrate that you are proficient in English to the required level.

There are several English proficiency tests available in today’s date, including IELTS, TOEFL iBT, Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic, and Cambridge Advanced English (CAE). The required score depends on whether you are going for a full degree, a foundation course, or enrolling on a preliminary English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS).

· Health requirements:

Some students also need to take medical or radiological check-ups to prove that they are in good health. This is applicable for most applicants who intend to train as doctors, nurses or dentists. If you are told to go through a health check-up, you need to attend an appointment with a doctor approved by the Australian immigration department.

If you are not from Belgium or Norway, you will have to purchase Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) while applying for a student visa (subclass 500). You have the option to purchase this cover through your university or to buy it directly from one of the approved providers – BUPA Australia, Australian Health Management, Medibank Private, nib OSHC, and Allianz Global Assistance.

Students from Sweden who have bought health insurance through Kammarkollegiet will not require purchasing OSHC. Likewise, the students from Belgium and Norway also do not need to buy OSHC as a part of their visa requirements.

· Character requirements:

It is also a requirement for an Australian student visa that you must be of good character. This involves checking your criminal record (if you have any) to make sure you do not have a criminal history. You may also need to get a penal clearance certificate (or police certificate) or get a police statement and may be asked to fill up a Character Statutory Declaration Form.

These are the requirements that you need to fulfil to get your student visa.

Australian Student Visa Documents

You should check the website of the Department of Home Affairs to find the document checklist, which tells you which documents are requirements for your specific circumstances. Typically, you need to submit the following documents:

· Completed application form for the Australian student visa (157A)

· Paid visa application fee – AU$620 (approximately US$420) in most cases

· Copy of passport biodata page (some students may need to physically provide their passport)

· Certificate of Enrolment or Offer Letter

· Proof of sufficient funds

· Proof of health insurance cover

· English proficiency test results

· Criminal record check results

· Four recent passport-sized photographs

Once you assemble and scan your supporting documents, you will have to create an account and apply with the online Immi Account application system. 

That is all that you need to know to apply for a student visa (subclass 500). You may need to wait four weeks for the application to process. Till then, do your research about the city you will be staying in and arrange your accommodation if the institution is not providing one.

Author bio: Thomas Nielsen is a career counsellor based out of Sydney, Australia. He is also a part of the team of experts at MyAssignmenthelp.com, where he serves as an engineering assignment help maker, helping students with their Physics Assignment help requests.

Leave a Reply